This one is a favorite of my family. It takes some time to make, but it is so flavorful you will love it!
1 cup Toor Dal
3 cup + 3 tbs Water
1 tbs Tamarind Paste
7-8 tbs Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
1 whole Onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric
3 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
1 cup Chopped Carrots
2 Medium Potatoes, chopped
2 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
2 tsp Salt (to taste)
3-4 dry red chilies with seeds
3-4 curry leaves
1. Cook toor dal and 1 cup water in a Pressure Cooker for 7 - 9 minutes. While dal cooks mix tamarind paste and 3 tbs water in bowl- set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbs oil in pan, and pop 1/2 of the cumin and 1/2 of the black mustard seed.
3. Add onion, and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add asafoetida and turmeric, stir 1-2 minutes
5. Add tomatoes, cook about 5 minutes.
6. Add carrots, potatoes, sambar spice packet, cooked dal, red chili powder, and salt. Add enough water to cover all veggies.
7. Add tamarind water. Boil 10-15 minutes until potatoes are done.
8. Temper: Heat 5-6 tbs oil in separate pan. Pop remaining black mustard seed and cumin. Add dry red chilies and curry leaves. Pour into sambar, remove from heat.
Serve over Idlis or Medu Wada. Big Sister eats hers alone.
Next time I may add a head of cauliflower. This makes A LOT, so I usually only make this when we are having company. This time we had leftovers for days!