Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cheap Vs. Frugal

So for years I have called Prince Charming "Cheap."  But I recently read an article called "Being Frugal vs. Being Cheap" at Live Renewed and started to wonder if maybe he's just frugal.

Example 1:
Cheap:  He would rather 1 ply toilet paper.
Frugal: He doesn't complain when I buy the good stuff.

Example 2:
Cheap:  He drives a vehicle that has no air conditioning and the windows don't roll down.
Frugal:  He drives my old van because he bought me a new new-to-me van so the kids and I could have A/C, automatic doors, and windows that roll down.

Example 3:
Cheap:  He never lets me buy any big purchase.
Frugal:  He shops around until he finds it cheaper (although sometimes he can't find one, and once he agrees to the purchase, the item/sale is gone!)

Example 4:
Cheap:  We bought a 5000 sq ft house 6 years ago, and have only finished remodeling 3 of the 4 bathrooms (actually one was a half bath and we only changed the floor and the commode).
Frugal:  We bought the house as an investment and have already increased the value by $60,000!

Example 5:
Cheap:  He always wants to know how much I have paid for things
Frugal:  He never complains or makes me return the purchases- he just likes to know that I looked at the price.  I used to be a pretty bad shopper and would spend $300-500 in a day, and not really even know what I bought.

I think, in the end, maybe he really is cheap, but he has taught me to be frugal, and since I am the one who does 99% of the shopping for the family, maybe, just maybe, his cheapness is a good thing!  We've never been able to do the classic budget cuts since those things usually weren't options to begin with- Prince Charming makes most of the repairs on our home (he's very handy), I don't get my hair colored (no grays yet!), we don't spend a lot on clothes- buying on sale and off season), we eat at home 6 nights a week, etc.

What are some things you do to cut your budget?


4 comments:

  1. I think this is a good exercise to use when feeling frustrated about money. My husband and I don't always see eye to eye about finances, but I have found that I can have some pretty bad spending habits. When we disagree, it's usually because I feel embarrassed that I do spend a lot of money, so it's easier to call him cheap. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plan my meals 2 weeks in advance and then paruse the weekly circulars. I only go to one store most of the time since Wal-Mart price matches on things that aren't labeled buy one get one or 10/$10. I can spend around $50 for 2 weeks worth of meals for our family of 3(4- my hubby eats enough for 2 but my 3MO only eats from me). The next week's shopping trip is usually only staples. I also make my own detergent and fabric softener etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The PatesThanks for reminding me! I keep thinking I need to check the circulrs, but that is one habit I haven't started yet.

    Lisa!
    http://sunla-designs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is very handy too... saves a lot on car repairs. The past couple of months we have had some issues with each car. But thanks to him instead of a mechanic bill of $800+ we got out for parts & his time. About $250! What a deal!!??! Frugal or Cheap, either way we saved a bundle!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to the Sunla Designs feed to have future posts delivered right to your feed reader or simply click the "follow" link at the top of the page!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...